Ειδικότητα στις ΗΠΑ

astypalaia2

for those that are really smart and can think ahead of time...don't be sheep any longer...the tendency of research and observerships to get into the system is yet old-fashioned...for those who can: all THREE steps in Greece. Non-accredited fellowship in the field of interest (u get H1B and clinical exposure comparable to a resident and of course salary) and then residency. Those guys here...knows such details but are hesitant to such suggestions ;)

Has been done and works...trust me!

Cordially,

Non-accredited fellowships in surgical specialties do not accept candidates fresh out of medical school. All require fellows to be able to manage patients and have at least basic surgical skills.

As you can see here http://apds.org/education-careers/open-positions/#job1710 2 years of accredited US general surgery training is the minimum requirement. Others request board certified/eligible candidates.

Non-accredited fellowships have no work hour restrictions and no approved educational program, hence the non-accredited status.

To give an example, non-accredited fellows in my department are expected to procure hearts and lungs unsupervised and work 100-120 hrs/week. Most of them have no US clinical experience and can barely speak english, but all have completed a CT surgery residency in their home country.

Μοιράσου σε άλλους δικτυακούς τόπους

• Απαντήσεις 2,5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

η ειρωνεια δεν βοηθα ...αναφερομαι στο har88 και στον giatroudara( empuke )..........επισης δεν ειμαι εγω αυτος που εφτασε το topic 100 σελιδες

Το step 3 μπορείς να το δώσεις μόνο στις ΗΠΑ, και σε ορισμένες πολιτείες που δεν ζητούν post-graduate experience. πχ Connecticut.

First of all, I meant all steps "in Greece" BEFORE starting your US endeavors.

Secondly, it would be literally a suicide, if you tried for merely surgical fellowships...you want to get into the system smoothly...even though this is not very easy, especially if you don't have a solid clinical experience, it is the most efficient way. If sb is interested in surgical specialties, it is very achievable and helpful to try a fellowship in the corresponding medical field. eg , which by the way has been done, cardiovascular fellowship from sb who wants cardiothoracic surgery...very very very smart! you have 3 even 4 in one effort in one year!!!!!!!

1. you have clinical and hands on experience ----invaluable.

2. you have LORs ---- even more precious than research -related letters.

3. you can have even papers written----doable...if you think that all guys claiming that have been working as research fellows prior to residency, I bet very few did real research with publications etc...most started residency without anything on pubmed.

4. you are very well paid

5. you are more likely to stay in the same institution if planets are set properly for you.

cordially,

Αυτή είναι η είδηση των τελευταίων -πολλών- σελίδων του νήματος και φαντάζει πολύ έξυπνη κίνηση, αλλά το ερώτημα εξακολουθεί να παραμένει:

ακόμα και για cardiovascular fellowship που ανέφερες δεν απαιτείται κάποια σχετική κλινική εμπειρία ;

Υποθέτω ότι όταν εργάζεσαι σαν ειδικός, δεν θα έχουν την υπομονή που θα δείχνουν κατά την Ειδικότητα με τους senior στην αρχή να σε καλύπτουν...

Πάντως δείχνει πολύ ενδιαφέρουσα οδός.

First of all, I meant all steps "in Greece" BEFORE starting your US endeavors.

Secondly, it would be literally a suicide, if you tried for merely surgical fellowships...you want to get into the system smoothly...even though this is not very easy, especially if you don't have a solid clinical experience, it is the most efficient way. If sb is interested in surgical specialties, it is very achievable and helpful to try a fellowship in the corresponding medical field. eg , which by the way has been done, cardiovascular fellowship from sb who wants cardiothoracic surgery...very very very smart! you have 3 even 4 in one effort in one year!!!!!!!

1. you have clinical and hands on experience ----invaluable.

2. you have LORs ---- even more precious than research -related letters.

3. you can have even papers written----doable...if you think that all guys claiming that have been working as research fellows prior to residency, I bet very few did real research with publications etc...most started residency without anything on pubmed.

4. you are very well paid

5. you are more likely to stay in the same institution if planets are set properly for you.

cordially,

I have met lots of FMGs in my 7 years in the US, but I have never heard of this.

As kopritis said, even in a medical specialty, you will be expected to have the knowledge and skills (central lines, endoscopy, cardiac caths, echo etc) of a trained physician.

So, someone fresh out of medical school or with agrotiko would not have the qualifications for the job. It's basically saying you would skip residency and go straight to fellowship. People would laugh.

Even if you complete such a fellowship it would still be considered irrelevant to a surgical specialty and you will be asked why you switched career paths when you interview.

For those who have completed all or part of their surgical training in Greece or other countries, clinical fellowships would be a good starting point provided they have all the qualifications mentioned in this thread, i.e. scores, LORs, papers etc.

Agreed. Didn't wanna comment before, but this thing doesn't make any sense at all. Not to mention, nobody can land cards or gi fellowship from home in Greece (or any other kind of medical fellowship). Besides the fact they're extremely competitive, who's gonna write you the PD LOR?

All in all this doesn't make any sense at all.

if u are unable to believe it...it isn't obligatory!!!!!!

to me, it has been even stranger how professors have released LORs and have picked the phone for wanna be called researchers with zero productivity............................................

the bottom line is that it is real, even though it goes beyond your horizont :) currently two guys, Greeks with name and surname are doing great through this pathway and are enjoying their general surgery residency in a very well know program, on H1B, without stratospheric scores and extraordinary clinical experience and without making "noise" of course. Who said thatsuch programs are highly competitive? among whom? think a little bit more....I am lazy to write down algorithms. and who said that the expectations are inhibitory for someone without experience? nobody is expecting you in the role of clinical fellow...otherwise they wouldn't have been called non-accredited.

I am not gonna comment any longer...I gave the info...if anyone open-minded is able to grab and exploit it...good for him/her..u can keep on your planned way...cuz it's already too late :)

cordially!

Νομιζω αντι για κοκορομαχια θα ηταν πιο χρησιμο για τους ενδιαφερομενους να μας πεις πως βρηκαν οι γνωστοι σου αυτα τα fellowship, που ειναι, τι βιογραφικο ειχαν, τι καθηκοντα/εκπαιδευση ειχαν στο fellowship κλπ.

It's not a matter of believing sth or not. It's your word against mine, that's what it comes down to.

"...it has been even stranger how professors have released LORs and have picked the phone for wanna be called researchers with zero productivity..." when did this happen? I don't know any self-respected professor who would put his own name at stake for recommending sod who's not productive and not worth it.

Same goes with LORs for fellowships. They require one's PD to write the candidate a LOR

Lastly, I don't think it's ever too late to train properly.

cordially!

Πωωωω τί θυμήθηκα!

Είχαμε έναν ινδό, τον Ντιπακ aka tu-pac aka Darfour (από τις καταστροφές), που έκανε non accredited critical care. Τί δράμα κι αυτό! Ως γνήσιο black cloud, ήμουν senior στην μονάδα, είχα τον junior και 2 interns, και ο fellow ήταν ωσεί παρών. Εκτός που δεν ήξερε ούτε πού ήταν η ΜΕΘ (τον ψάχναμε κάθε μέρα), ο επιμελητής μου έλεγε "δεν πας να δεις πού είναι ο fellow γιατί λείπει πολλή ώρα και φοβάμαι".

Στην πρώτη εφημερία μαζί του, με παίρνουν οι αδελφές από το ER μου λένε

- ο τάδε δεν έχει γραμμή, έχει ρίξει πίεση, έχει έναν αναπνευστήρα με περίεργες ρυθμίσεις, δεν έχει οδηγίες

- καλά ποιός τον έκανε εισαγωγή;

- μας συστήθηκε ως critical care fellow και είπε να τον κάνουμε εισαγωγή. Αλλά δεν έγραψε τίποτα ούτε έδωσε οδηγίες, ούτε έβαλε γραμμές...

- ...ποιός τον διασωλήνωσε;

- οι ER Physicians

-..................................................πόσους τέτοιους έχετε εκεί κάτω;

- F*ck!

όταν τον βρήκα μετά από ώρες να περιφέρετε μεταξύ καφετέριας και διαδρόμων, του πάτησα μια κατσάδα. Μου λέει "μα είπα στις αδελφές τί να κάνουν...στο περίπου". Verbal orders!!! Βάλε μια γραμμή νοσηλεύτρια...κάνε κάτι στον αναπνευστήρα νοσηλεύτρια...ρίξει και 2 αμπούλες ντοπαμίνη. Πόσο είναι η αμπούλα; Η αμπούλα είναι αμπούλα. 2 βάλε...

Το πιο ωραίο σκηνικό ήταν στο sign out που γινόταν από fellow σε fellow. Έκανε sign out νεκρούς ασθενείς!!!

- Η κα τάδε, εεε notbad τί κάνει η κα τάδε;

- πέθανε ρε Ντίπακ, code blue Πάει τέλειωσε

- σοβαρά; πότε;

- πριν 5-6 ώρες

- ααα, ε πέθανε η κα ταδε

Και δεν φτάνει που τον είχα ένα μήνα στην μονάδα, και δεν είχα fellow ουσιαστικά, κι ευτυχώς ο επιμελητής ήταν αστέρι και τρώγαμε μαζί την πίκρα, ήμουν σε hit list χριστουγεννιάτικα, 3η, senior, και με παίρνει 7 η ώρα το πρωί ο chief, μου λέει "η Dr Bailey στην CCU (ΜΕΠΚ) έχει φρικάρει, είναι εκεί από τις 6 ο Darfour και ένας junior, και είπε να της στείλουμε τον Senior στο hit list, 'τοιμάσου και πήγαινε". Κι έφαγα και το αγγούρι 2 βδομάδες CCU εξαιτίας του darfour.

ΚΑΙ όταν με είδε μέσα στα νεύρα μου λέει "αααα η αγαπημένη μου resident, ευτυχώς που ήρθες!!!" εμ πώς να είμαι αγαπημένη σου ρε Ντίπακ, αφού με πας γαζί όποτε δουλεύουμε μαζί. Διάβαζε India Times κάθε μέρα ενώ εμείς τρέχαμε.

Αυτά τα διαμαντάκια λέμε; Απολύθηκε ο Ντίπακ Μάρτιο μήνα. Καλό παιδί, αλλά άσχετος ΚΑΙ απροσάρμοστος. Μέχρι Μάρτιο ούτε το ηλεκτρονικό σύστημα δεν ήξερε να ανοίγει. Ε...ντροπή.

Φυσικά θα υπάρχει το παράδειγμα κάποιου που το έκανε αυτό και τώρα είναι στο Harvard (σε αυτό το Mass General τα rounds πρέπει να γίνονται στα ελληνικά, με τόσους έλληνες εκεί μέσα).

Non accredited CV fellowship; Υπάρχουν τέτοια; Και παίρνουν ξένους; Και μετά αυτοί πάνε και για καρδιοχειρουργική; Λίγο περίεργα μου ακούγονται.Μια ηπατολογία έχω ακούσει σε κάτι cleveland clinic, U o Miami και κάποια άλλα, κάτι αγγειολογία έχω ακούσει στο wake forest. Αλλά, αυτά τα ζητάνε και όσοι θέλουν cards, GI, και δεν κάνουν match στο fellowship. Δηλαδή έχεις ανταγωνισμό από board certified internists και θα πάρουν τον ξένο;

Μακάρι όλα τα παιδιά να τα καταφέρουν και καλό κουράγιο στους residents που τους έχουν ως fellow.

Πάντως, από το πουθενά να σε πάρουν σε τέτοιο fellowship, ξέρω γω. Κάποιος δεν πρέπει να σε συστήσει, να έχεις και κάποια εμπειρία; Ο ντιπακ ήταν υποτίθεται καρδιοχειρουργός στην Ινδία. Μπορεί να ήταν αστέρι στο bypass αλλά τα απλά πχ μια νεφρική ανεπάρκεια, ένα αντιβιοτικό, μια γραμμή, δεν τα θυμόταν (και λογικό).

Πω ρε τον νταρφουρ, τον είχα ξεχάσει, τί μου θυμήσατε. Ποιός ξέρει πού διαβάζει τώρα India times...

[media=]

Τροποποιήθηκε από notbad

:) Τί να μας πειράζει εμάς; και οι 3 που απαντήσαμε έχουμε μπει και (μερικοί) τελειώσει σε accredited residencies και fellowships. Μακάρι να βρουν τα παιδιά. Με υπονοούμενα λες ότι ξέρουμε τέτοια πληροφορία και δεν την λέμε γιατί έχουμε planned way. Σιγά την συνομωσία. :)

Όλοι (=ολοι όσοι απαντήσαμε) λέμε ότι να τελειώσει κάποιος με 3 steps στην "Ελλάδα" , και από το πουθενά να σε πάρουν από Ελλάδα, χωρίς καμία κλινική εμπειρία (ουτε US ούτε πουθενά!), χωρίς συστάσεις, με 3 σκορς, για non accredited fellow, εξειδικευόμενο δηλαδή, και να πας, και να νομίζεις ότι είσαι και σούπερ ουάου (σε ένα σύστημα που δεν ξέρεις) και θα βρεις και competitive residencies ακούγεται περίεργο.

Αλλά μακάρι να πάνε. Το ψωμί θα μας φάνε; :)

ΥΓ Έκανα edit, μην χαλάμε το θέμα. Αν έχει κάποιος συγκεκριμένες πληροφορίες και θέλει, ας τις μοιραστεί με όσα παιδιά προσπαθούν να κάνουν ειδικότητα στις ΗΠΑ.

Τροποποιήθηκε από notbad

είναι πολυ αστείο αυτό που γίνεται...η παροιμια μου πηγαινε στο φίλο σου τον Ινδο notbad...επιπλέον, σχολιάζεις σε μια υποτιθέμενη δήλωση κάνοντας κυριολεκτικά κολαζ απο διαφορετικά μου ποστς. "planned way"? --this refers to the personal goals that everyone in between us has set...can't believe that someone who has already started residency is gonna downgrade to a non-accredited fellowship---ήμαρτον...didn't know that the whole forum is consisted of exclusively three members that happened to have commented on my post...the worse though is that, if you (in general, not u personally!!!!!) are not aware of sth "new" taking place...stay aside, shut up, investigate and then take the initiative to answer...

anyways...I rarely write here...and I did it recently, because I felt I had sth to say which is important, totally real, confirmed, helpful and not disorienting. your attitude guys is discouraging and I replied now just because I respect u notbad, your research, your great effort with residency and your time.

cordially,

@WannaUSA: Heydoc didn't answer your question, coz he might as well screen-write for a soap-opera, if he starts answering to such hypotheses.

@pherormone: "...shut up..." wt...? I'd suggest everyone calmed down and behaved in a truly cordial way.

Also, since we are here talking primarily about our experiences, and not about random Indian ppl who're just being used as examples, it only makes sense that notbad perceived your comment as being directed to what we're saying. You should've clarified it beforehand.

Hi Guys,

I'm a 20-year-old med student having started studying for usmle step 1 from kaplan books (actually, having copied them) in tandem with watching the respective videos (actually, having downloaded them). After finishing each chapter I study the respective section of First Aid (actually..no..the original one :P). Thinking that kaplan books are lecture NOTES, not even books, I wanna ask you to what degree would a review book (such as high-yield etc.) seem more useful to us as long-future (I wish) US residents...I know that our knowledge on each subject is being tested on the exam but are there any more clinical tips in review books than in notes that we may find useful? Just wondering...And, also, which books had you taken with you overseas (literally) when you first departed? Thanks for your time...

Τροποποιήθηκε από AkirosKirios

Kaplan books(for basic sciences) have nothing to do with ur residency.

There are other books for the field u choose to specialize.

However,as u can imagine,there are some general concepts(in these books), u should know for the rest of ur life :)

Τροποποιήθηκε από heydoc

Ο ιατροδικαστής ανήκει στις χειρουργικές δηλαδή οτι κάνεις για τις χειρουργικές κάνεις για να γίνεις και ιατροδικαστής;

Ευχαριστώ εκ των προτέρων!

Αν γνωρίζει κάποιος θα ήθελα να μου πει μαζί με τα USMLEs, τις έρευνες, κλινική εμπειρία στις Η.Π.Α για χειρουργική και συγκεκριμένα καρδιοχειρουργική πόσο θα κοστίσει ΣΥΝΟΛΙΚΑ;

Όποιος γνωρίζει ας απαντήσει. Η καρδιοχειρουργική είναι τόσο ανταγωνιστική όσο νευροχειρουργική (δεν θέλω νευροχειρουργική);

Όποιος ξέρει ας ΑΠΑΝΤΗΣΕΙ :) !

Λοιπον παιδια πρωτα απολα μπορει καποιος να μου παραθεσει site με ολα τα fellowships της παθολογιας??

δευτερον ως δευτεροετης που μολις αρχισα αρχιζω διαβασμα παραλληλα για usmle βιβλια εχω βρει για ανατομια Atlas of Human Anatomy(netter basic science) σκεφτομαι να παρω και το Grays Anatomy for student....Για φυσιολογια Costanzo αλλα δεν βρισκω για βιοχημεια εχετε κατι να μου προτεινετε και πως βρισκετε τις αλλες επιλογες??

οι διάφορες εκδόσεις του κάπλαν έχουν διαφορά ως προς το περιεχόμενό τους; ρωτάω επειδή έχουν μια διαφορά στην τιμή τους! οι εκδόσεις του 12 έχουν διαφορά απ αυτές του 11;

Τροποποιήθηκε από marioslefkas

λοιπον παιδια κοιταζοντας αρκετα απο τα μεχρι τωρα post καταλαβαινω οτι η χειρουργικη στην αμερικη ειναι πολυ δυσκολη και γιαφραγκατους ελληνες σωστα?θελεις observership η research ok? στο observership δεν πληρωνεσαι αν εχω καταλαβει καλα? ενω στο research δεν ειμαι σιγουρος ....ενας φιλος μου μου ειπε οτι στο research σου παρεχουν καποιο σπιτι αυτοι και αλλα τετοια ισχυει η μπα?(στο οχαιο μου ανεφερε συγκεκριμενα ...εκει εχει γνωστους)

• 2 weeks later...

Καλησπέρα παιδιά! Ανακάλυψα πρόσφατα αυτό το forum και έχετε κάνει καταπληκτική δουλειά.. Θα ήθελα να ρωτήσω τα παιδιά που βρίσκονται αυτή τη στιγμή στην Αμερική αν έχουν κάποια εικόνα από το φετινό match(που κυμαίνονται οι βαθμοί του μέσου IMG, τι γίνεται με τις visa, # of interviews)! Ενδιαφέρομαι για IM και σύντομα δίνω το step 1! Thanks

Για το match 2012: www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2012.pdf

Για το 2013 περίμενε κάνα χρόνο. Δε νομίζω να έχει αλλάξει δραματικά πάντως η κατάσταση από '12 σε '13.

Btw, ο μέσος IMG δε θα βρει πουθενά ειδικότητα, οπότε δεν ξέρω αν είναι καλός οδηγός...