astypalaia2

Ειδικότητα στις ΗΠΑ

Loannaki and Notbad,

Can I interest you in a drink anytime soon or STAT if you want ;)

Τροποποιήθηκε από petepan

Μοιράσου αυτή τη δημοσίευση

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση
Μοιράσου σε άλλους δικτυακούς τόπους

In the operating room, in the middle of a below-knee-amputation, in an atherosclerotic patient. Vessels were so stiff, so tourniquet was not working...

I had so much bleeding from everywhere and was trying to control it.

Nurse: "Doctor, what time did you put the tourniquet?"

Me: no answer

Nurse: ......

Me: "The tourniquet is not working, we are bleeding this guy to death, I need more hemostats and ties"

Nurse:...

(then, doing irrelevant stuff to which I was not paying attention)

After some time, with me stressed out trying to control the bleeding and tie-off the vessels...,

Nurse: "Doctor, what time did you put the tourniquet on?"

Me: "Why?"

Nurse: "Because I have to document the time!"

Me: "Why?"

Nurse: "because I have to get the time right!"

Me: "Stop documenting bullshit, pay attention and start doing some real nursing. Otherwise, I'll send your documentation to his funeral, because the f... tourniquet is not working and this guy will bleed to death if we don't control the bleeding."

Nurse: "Sorry, ok...."

Me: "Stop wandering around, do your real job, and get us some ties NOW, OK?"

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

Σε καταλαβαίνω φίλε μου. Ήσουν πιεσμένος, μην είσαι σκληρός με τον εαυτό σου που τα έχασες και έκανες μπουλι την νοσοκόμα. Είναι συνηθισμένες αυτές σε βρισίδια απο χειρουργους...δεν φημίζεστε και για την ευγενια σας.

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

It didn't seem to me he was being harsh on himself...Anyways, time to express our feelings of gratitude and humbleness toward this rare and priceless species of physicians: the ER doctors.

ER attending: ''we have a patient here with SOB and cough for the past day, he's also wheezing. We don't have PMHx on him, but we suspect he's either having COPD exacer. or HF'' (his VS were stable, he was satting fine on 4L)

I go to the ED & start seeing the pt and I note that he's got decreased breath sounds on the R. Around that time, the attending steps into the room, we go outside and tells me the CXR showed that the pt had a big R-PTX.

Really????dry.gif

Other case (same day)

ER resident : ''we have a pt who comes in with R facial droop & RUE weakness both of which started abruptly this morning. +fevers for the past wk and decreased urine outpt. Head CT r/o hemorrhage. Her UA is dirty and we started her on Zosyn''

I see the pt and she really did have marked RUE weakness and a slight R facial droop. She has a h/o CVA, HTN, HLD. Even though she's such a high risk for CVA, nobody thought of doing a very simple thing (after the CT came back): give her an ASPIRIN. (I'd even trust Ortho to do that).

P.S: Ok...I'd probably trust Ortho to do that.

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

Relationship between 2-digit and 3-digit scores by USMLE.

http://www.usmle.org/transcripts/score-conversion.html#step1exams

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

Σχετικά με το φετινό match, ξέρω 4 παιδιά που έχουν κάνει για ΓΧ. Θα έχει μεγάλο ενδιαφέρον (κι οι υποψήφιοι είναι όλοι πολύ ενδιαφέροντες), αλλά είναι πολύ νωρίς ακόμα.

Πες τους να κανουν αιτηση στο University of Pittsburgh. Ειναι καλο προγραμμα ΓΧ και εχει πολλους IMGs.

It seems rather appealing, despite the fact that IMGs seem to be less favorable during the last 5 years (exc for one specific university's graduates - maybe there's some sort of affiliation). link

Of course, such info is VERY VERY important for us prospective applicants, and is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

Καλησπέρα σε όλους. Μία ερώτηση!. Με first aid και usmle world(τρα΄πεζα ερωτήσεων) για step 1 είναι καλυμμένος κανείς για να περάσει με καλό σκορ??

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

Mike...please post it in the appropriate place...thanks

The World Hellenic Biomedical Association announces the organization of the 1st Summer School in Medical & Biosciences Research and Management, which will take place in Greece on May 20-30, 2012. Undergraduate and graduate students from universities in Greece and abroad are invited to submit applications.

The aim of this educational activity is to expose prominent graduate and undergraduate students of medical and biosciences background to knowledge given by top-notch experts from the most advanced medical and biosciences research centers, as well as from the Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology industry.

The program is divided in two parts. The 1st part will take place in the beautiful scenery of Itilo in Mani, Peloponnese from May 20 to May 26, 2012. For this part 10 instructors and 2 plenary speakers of worldwide reputation will present the most recent breakthroughs and current trends in several topics of basic and clinical medical research. The students will then be transferred to Athens, where they will attend lectures about drug development and successful placement of a new drug in the market. Moreover, the schedule includes visits of the students to the Biomedical Research Foundation of the Academy of Athens, the Standing Committee on Cultural and Educational Affairs of the Parliament of Greece and the Ministry of Education, Lifelong Learning and Religious Affairs.

Hotel expenses will be covered for 24 selected students based on their academic record and performance.

The deadline for submission of applications is January 20, 2012. Detailed information is available at www.whba1990.org

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

Παιδια, επειδη τα εχω στειλει ηδη μια φορα λαθος, θα μπορουσε καποιος να μου πει τι ακριβως γραφω στα εξης για το application:

1) date you completed requirements for the final medical school diploma

2) graduation date

3) date medical diploma issued

Ευχαριστω παρα πολυ!

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

Κάτι που προκαλεί εντύπωση είναι το πόσο σχετικά είναι τα πράγματα, ακόμα και στις ΗΠΑ.

Αυτή την στιγμή, ένας απ΄τους top χειρουργούς Γ/Χ-trauma, καθηγητής, με άπειρες δημοσιεύσεις, βιβλία κτλ ΔΕΝ έχει κάνει Ειδικότητα στις ΗΠΑ.

Τροποποιήθηκε από kopritis

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

Καλησπέρα σας, θα ήθελα να πω ένα μεγάλο ευχαριστώ στα παιδιά που γράφουν στο greekmeds και βοηθούν όλους εμάς που προσπαθούμε να κάνουμε ειδικότητα στις ΗΠΑ.

Θα ήθελα να κάνω 2 ερωτήσεις για την αναγνώριση των medical education credentials από το ECFMG:

-Από ό,τι είδα στο information booklet, υπάρχει όριο στο μέγεθος των documents (216χ279mm). Το Ελληνικό Α4 είναι 2 εκατοστά μακρύτερο. Θα χρειαστεί να ζητήσω αντίγραφο πτυχίου - transcripts - translations σε μικρότερο μέγεθος, ή δεν υπάρχει πρόβλημα; Υπάρχει κάποιος/α που τα έστειλε στο original μέγεθος και δεν τα δέχτηκαν;

-Μπορώ να στείλω το transcript μαζί με το πτυχίο ή πρεπει οπωσδήποτε να σταλεί αργότερα από τη σχολή μου για το verification?

Ευχαριστώ πολύ για τη βοήθεια.

Επίσης, άσχετα με τις ερωτήσεις μου, θα ήθελα να προσθέσω κι εγώ στο topic αυτό ότι όποιος θέλει να κάνει elective στην Αμερική σε νοσοκομείο που θέλει proof of liability insurance, υπάρχει το site www.academicins.com , το οποίο δίνει Liability insurance με $250 το μήνα ειδικά για φοιτητές! Επίσης, μπορείς να κάνεις αίτηση χωρίς να τους πληρώσεις, και αυτοί θα στείλουν γράμμα στο νοσοκομείο που θέλετε να κάνετε elective ότι εφόσον σας δεχτεί, αυτοί θα σας καλύψουν με την ασφάλεια αυτή, οπότε μπορείτε να τους πληρώσετε ΑΦΟΥ σας δεχτούν!

PS: Αν οι moderators θεωρούν ότι κάνω διαφήμιση, μπορούν να διαγράψουν το Link, αν και πιστεύω ότι αξίζει τον κόπο να μείνει γιατί χάρη σε αυτό δίνεται πρόσβαση για elective στην πλειοψηφία των Αμερικάνικων νοσοκομείων, καθώς σχεδόν όλα θέλουν proof of liability insurance.

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

Def must watch!! Too funny!!

P.S: also sadly, this represents a good proportion of my time in the ccu, i.e. trying to figure out wth these OSH are thinking of when sending nursing notes with critically ill cardiac patients...

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

Factors Used by Program Directors to Select Obstetrics and Gynecology Fellows

Gibson, Kelly S. MD; Muffly, Tyler M. MD; Penick, Emily MD; Barber, Matthew D. MD, MHS

Obstetrics & Gynecology:

January 2012 - Volume 119 - Issue 1 - p 119–124

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: To describe the factors and attributes that obstetrics and gynecology fellowship directors use in selecting applicants for interview and ranking.

METHODS: Anonymous questionnaires were completed by obstetrics and gynecology fellowship directors using a web-based survey (adapted from a previously published questionnaire) before match day 2011. Fellow selection practices were evaluated and included importance of prematch preparations, screening of applications, interview processes, and recommendations given to applicants. Fellowship directors were asked to grade selection factors based on a 5-point Likert-like scale (ranging from 1 being unimportant to 5 being essential).

RESULTS: A total of 187 fellowship directors representing programs accredited by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Inc. were surveyed, and 124 completed the survey (66% response rate). The factors in prematch preparations that 99–100% of program directors found in the essential to important range were a high-quality obstetrics and gynecology residency training program and experience with clinical research during residency or with clinical research after residency. Surgical experience was valued more by gynecologic oncologist respondents than by other subspecialty respondents, although this statistic did not reach statistical significance (P=.08).

CONCLUSION: Education pedigree and research experience are important factors considered by fellowship directors when selecting fellowship applicants. For applicants, these data will allow for a critical self-analysis before applying or interviewing.

LEVEL OF EVIDENCE: III

ps@Loanna LOL! ''We are not gonna be CONSTRAINED(?!?) BY...FORMAL INDICATIONS ?!?! ...WE CAN CATH YOU!?!

Τροποποιήθηκε από skydogsully

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

Καλησπέρα σε όλους! Μπορεί κάποιος να μου παραθέσει αναλυτικά τα

χαρτιά που χρειάζεσαι για να κάνεις αίτηση για το step 1 για

να μην ξεχάσω τίποτα που είναι απαραίτητο?

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

Γεια σας παιδιά!

Ήθελα να σας κάνω μια ερώτηση ασυνήθιστη με αυτά που μέχρι στιγμής έχουν συζητηθεί στο topic. Αφορά τα dual-doc couples. Κατά πόσο μπορούν να ανταπεξέλθουν στις "παραϊατρικές" τους υποχρεώσεις (οικογένεια, παιδιά κτλ); Υπάρχουν περιθώρια για αλλαγές/προσαρμογές ωραρίων ή κάτι παρόμοιο ή η συνύπαρξη δύο γιατρών στην ίδια οικογένεια είναι ουτοπική; Θα ήταν ιδιαίτερα σημαντικές οι απαντήσεις σας!

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

Γεια σας παιδιά!

Κατ' αρχάς θα ήθελα να σας ευχαριστήσω όλους για τις πολύτιμες πληροφορίες που μας παρέχετε σχετικά με την ειδικότητα στην Αμερική.

Παρακολουθώ πολύ καιρό τώρα το forum και πραγματικά θεωρώ πολύ σημαντική τη συνεισφορά του.

Σε λίγο καιρό από τώρα θα δώσω το STEP 1 και επειδή σύμφωνα με τον προγραμματισμό μου θα ξεκινήσω κατευθείαν την προετοιμασία για το STEP 2 CK, θα ήθελα να ρωτήσω αν ξέρει κανείς να μου πει που μπορώ να βρω σύγχρονα video του Kaplan για STEP 2. Έκανα μία μικρή έρευνα και τα λίγα video που βρήκα ήταν αρκετά παλιά.

Θεωρώ κάθε βοήθεια σημαντική! Σας ευχαριστώ εκ των προτέρων!

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

New rules for usmle score reporting:

http://www.usmle.org/announcements/default.aspx?ContentId=81

Έχει ανακοινωθεί εδω και αρκετό καιρό αλλά δεν ξερώ αν το γνωρίζουν όλοι... Απ'ότι φαίνεται no more 99... :anavwfwties:

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

Ερώτηση σχετικά με τα electives:

Γίνεται να κάνει κάποιος elective σε νοσοκομείο της Αμερικής το καλοκαίρι(Ιούλιο-Αύγουστο) μετά το 6ο έτος αφού έχει τελειώσει με τα μαθήματα της σχολής? Ή θεωρείται ότι δεν είναι πλέον φοιτητής άρα δεν έχει πλέον αυτή τη δυνατότητα?

όποιος γνωρίζει κάτι σχετικά με το ζήτημα ας βοηθήσει... emhelp

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

Καλησπερα σας!!! Ειμαι και εγω ενας ενδιαφερομενος για ειδικοτητα στην Αμερικη! Ειλικρινα οι πληροφοριες που βαζετε ειναι πολυ χρησιμες!!! Θαηθελα να σας ρωτησω και κατι αλλο?? Αν εχεισ και αλλο ενα πτυχιο πχ Κτηνιατρικης οπως εγω αυτο βοηθαει σαν κριτηριο για να σε δεχτουν σε καποια χειρουργικη ειδικοτητα ( περα πο τουσ καλουσ βαθμους στα USMLE και ολα τα αλλα)???

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

Για Χειρουργική Ειδικότητα σε ζώα ενδιαφέρεσαι ; emeleos

P.S: Εμένα μου φαίνεται για troll-άρισμα.

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση

Ρωταω αν μετραει σαν εξτρα θετικο στο βιογραφικο??? Ειναι τοσο περιεργη η ερωτηση??? Γιατι απ οτι ξερω στην Αγγλια μετραει αρκετα!!!!

Σύνδεσμος στη δημοσίευση